Book Review: Keturah by Lisa T. Bergran


Keturah by Lisa T. Bergren - 4 Stars - Let's travel to the 1700s in the West Indies for family drama, a strong faith walk and a protective hero! (Book 1 in The Sugar Baron's Daughters Series)

I ended up really enjoying Keturah. At first I wasn't loving it, but once the characters got to off the ship to their destination, things started happening and I was certainly more invested. I really liked our main guy of Gray in this book - he was such a good hero in the story. I loved how Keturah was a strong, female lead but also broken in many ways and needed true healing from the Lord. Seeing her faith walk was inspiring. She can be so stubborn and quick to anger throughout the story, but to see her surrender to God - so beautiful. Also, I really liked her sisters and excited to read more of their stories in the series.

In 1772 England, Lady Keturah and her sisters found themselves heiresses of their father's estate in the West Indies and have to travel there to save what is left of their heritage. They got to the Caribbean and are floored with the culture there and the way slaves and women are treated here. Ketruah swore she would never marry again as her first husband was abusive and unkind. But when she meets Gray, she starts to wonder if she could ever love again. Either way, she has to be strong for her sisters. They go to her Father's plantation/land and what they find is not what they expected.....Keturah is hurt and angry at these circumstances and the story goes on from here.

Overall, I did enjoy their story and the 30%+ mark is when I finally was really interested in what happened next. The audiobook was really good with a good narrator who kept me invested in the story. There were some pieces I didn't love - such as this really didn't always feel like the 1700s for me - some parts were a little unrealistic - like the women going by ship - alone with no male family members - to their father's plantation. We always love these type of stories - but is it historically accurate, I'm not sure. Some parts were also a bit slow for me in the pacing, but again, I did overall enjoy this book and will be reading more in the series. 

Content Warnings: This book deals heavily with men who are abusive to women and slaves. Slavery and prejudices are discussed in detail throughout the story. Also mentions of men getting drunk and slaves are being auctioned off with a scene of violence against them.

Goodreads Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4680388925
Amazon: https://amzn.to/3XfqnnI
Baker Book House: https://bakerbookhouse.com/products/38477

YouTube Review Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0tuWJiWKg&t=

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Rec Post: Southern Charm Readathon

Book Review: All My Secrets by Lynn Austin

Book Review: Better Watch Out by Natalie Walters