Book Review: The Hunter and the Valley of Death by Brennan S. McPherson

 



The Hunter and the Valley of Death - Brennan S. McPherson - 4 Stars - A beautiful Christian allegory novella. (Book 1 in The Psalms Series)

This short book got me emotional in the end! This is an allegorical, lyrical story based on Psalm 23 and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It reads like a biblical fiction style story to me with a fantastical parable element. It may be short, but boy does it bring the emotions in the end. Maybe it's just the time in my life that I am reading it, but I did tear up in the end. I was a little confused at the beginning and it took me a little bit to understand what was going on, but by the middle of the story I was really interested in this journey our character was taking. Keep reading if you're not sure what's going on - I am glad I did.

What a beautiful reminder that "When we take our eyes off our shepherd we find ourselves surrounded by trouble. And yet, He always delivers the sheep who love Him."

In this story we have a man who wakes up in the Valley of Death and realizes he's given up everything, including his memories to attempt to kill "Death" so he can bring his wife back to life. He goes on the journey in his different trials and errors - he felt very realistic to me, much like we are in our own lives as we make mistakes. But Christ died to redeem us and purchase our love - and that's shown beautifully here.

There is a Psalm 23 short bible study and symbolism explantion afterwards that I really appreciated. He explained how things tie together and what Psalm 23 means to him. I loved that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Rec Post: Southern Charm Readathon

Book Review: All My Secrets by Lynn Austin

Book Review: Better Watch Out by Natalie Walters