Book Review: An American In Scotland by Lucy Connelly

 





An American In Scotland - Lucy Connelly - 4 Stars - An enjoyable Scottish Cozy Mystery! (Book 1 in A Scottish Isle Mystery Series)

This book was so much fun, I really enjoyed my time reading it. My friend Tammy recommended it to me and it was definitely an "Amanda" book :) In this delightful Scottish cozy mystery, we have our American protagonist, Dr. Emilia McRoy, at the heart of the story as she is Sea Isle's new doctor in town. She moved from the busy emergency room in Seattle in hopes of settling down as a small-town doctor in a town where she learns she may have ancestorial heritage roots. She's been through some really tough things losing family members and a traumatic experience with losing her husband so she is hoping to start fresh in this new place. But as soon as she gets to Sea Isle, she stumbles across a dead body and realizes she has to be the one to help investigate as the towns new doctor. She meets the local constable, Laird Ewan Campbell, and while they butt heads for a while, they work together to solve this mystery.

What really made this cozy mystery great for me was the characters - even the side characters were amazing. The strength of it lies in the well-crafted characters and the immersive Scottish setting. My favorite side characters were Abigail and Tommy. Tommy is a character on the autism spectrum and while he can't speak, he works well and helps others, so that was amazing to see. His sister helps take care of him and becomes great friends with Em. It was also cool to see Em's setup as a doctor there and how the village was so small and quaint that they all really took care of one another. There is a little bit of a side romance starting to bloom that I really liked too :)

There were a few parts of this I didn't love reading but overall it's on the higher end of my Scottish cozy mystery reads that I plan to pick up book 2 when it comes out!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Rec Post: Southern Charm Readathon

Book Review: All My Secrets by Lynn Austin

Book Review: Better Watch Out by Natalie Walters