Book Review: The Other Side of Special by Amy J. Brown, Sara Clime and Carrie M. Holt

 


The Other Side of Special - Amy J. Brown, Sara Clime & Carrie M. Holt - 5 Stars - Such a timely book I needed as a special needs mom!

Reading this book has been so timely in my journey as a special needs mom. To say I needed this book at such a time in my life is an understatement. I have felt so many of the feelings these lovely mothers have explained in such beautiful ways. They are relatable moms, all sharing a common ground no matter what disability their children have. Thank you, ladies, for encouraging my heart as a special needs mother. Thank you to Baker Publishing, Revell and NetGalley for a free e-book copy to honestly read and review. I can’t wait to get my physical copy I preordered to get all my highlights down! If you are a special needs mother, relative to someone with special needs, or just wanting to get an insight to this journey of special needs motherhood, please read this. It has changed my perspective and encouraged my faith tremendously.

My son is 4 and was diagnosed with Autism when he was 2 and a half. Our journey is truly just beginning, but I could relate to so much these mothers have expressed in their own journeys. They remind us that it’s ok to give ourselves permission to grieve certain things in your child’s diagnosis, but to let God handle us where we are in that grief as He is the God of comfort. This book reminds us that comparison truly is a trap and “when we focus on what we do not have, we miss what God freely offers.” How to move from comparison to contentment and focus on Jesus. “We won’t wonder if another family has it worse of better than we do because we accept that Christ is all we need no matter what.” AMEN. I needed the chapters specifically on comparison, grief, fear, shame, brokenness, guilt, soul rest…etc.

My favorite passage: “We have everything we need to be the parent our child needs. We have access to God’s divine power. We have the wisdom to hear God’s voice and turn away from the harsh accusations of the devil. We can live a life of godliness through God’s strength. He abundantly gives us his wisdom without contempt or disdain because we’ve asked. He does not sit in heaven saying, “Oh dear, she’s asking again. I don’t want to give this to her.” With open arms, he’s begging us to ask.” – THIS right here – this is what it’s about. We are fully equipped to handle this with the power of the Lord. Even when things seem impossible, He makes a way. He is there for us going through hard times. I am beyond grateful for His never-ending love for us and our children. He has big plans for our children.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Rec Post: Southern Charm Readathon

Book Review: All My Secrets by Lynn Austin

Book Review: Better Watch Out by Natalie Walters