Book Review: Fairest of Heart by Karen Witemeyer

 


Fairest of Heart - Karen Witemeyer - 5 Stars - A BEAUTIFUL SNOW WHITE RETELLING!

Fairest of Heart is the first in the Texas Ever After series and the first book by Karen Witemeyer I have read and WOW it did NOT disappoint ya’ll! 5 stars and a new favorite author?! SO HAPPY! This book exudes all things southern with a western atmosphere, a fairytale historical romance retelling and excellent faith content. I loved it so much and can’t wait to read more of Karen’s books! This was SO delightful as we have a Snow-White retelling with a swoon-worthy hero! I was HERE for it!

In this book we follow Penelope Snow, the personal maid for famous actress, Narcissa LaBelle. Penelope is a beautiful woman with a gorgeous figure, but she hides it under loose-fitting dresses, so she doesn’t attract attention to herself. In the beginning of the story, Narcissa appears to be helping Penelope get out of a rough situation, but you soon realize, she is the Snow-White Evil Queen all over again! Narcissa constantly is looking in the mirror and obsessed with her own beauty. When she sees Penelope trying on one of her dresses to help Narcissa’s alterations, she gets so jealous that she sends her away to be left for dead. Little does she know, the swoon-worthy and handsome Titus Kingsley and the 7 “old drovers” (dwarves in Snow-White) at Diamond D Ranch help save her and they grow to love her as one of their own….but can she hide from Narcissa forever?

The characters in this really made the story for me. I LOVED our sweet little 7 drovers at Diamond D Ranch – they were these precious grandfather figures to Penelope. Titus and Penelope’s romance was SO SWEET too! What stood out to me the most was the wonderful faith content. I loved how Titus would look to the bible in God’s word for answers to his hard situation. We had SO many scriptures quoted and the characters truly turned to the Lord for guidance throughout the story as they were learning to trust him in every situation they went through.

This was also my first “western” book and I was surprised how much I enjoyed that atmosphere. Even if I don’t always understand some of the language during that time period, I thoroughly enjoyed the setting. I will be picking up more like this in the future for sure. I also think Karen told the story of Snow-White very well! I could easily see the correlation to the characters from the fairytale and I loved that! Overall, a wonderful start to a new series! Thank you to Bethany House, Baker Publishing and NetGalley for a copy to honestly read and review.

Goodreads Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/5422072992
Amazon: https://amzn.to/46j8Sah
Baker Book House: https://bakerbookhouse.com/products/492071

YouTube Review Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNfiPar0nxE
Reading Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fOoVZmMy0g&t=42s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Rec Post: Southern Charm Readathon

Book Review: All My Secrets by Lynn Austin

Book Review: Better Watch Out by Natalie Walters