Book Review: Sailor Moon Book 1 Manga

 


Sailor Moon Book 1 Review - 4 Stars 

It's hard to read and rate this manga as it is something very nostalgic for me personally. I loved Sailor Moon the show and books growing up as a young girl. I had a fan club with my friends in middle school and it has always been something I enjoyed. 

After reading book 1, I still enjoy the story and the characters but do have some issues with it from a christian perspective and as an adult re-reading it from a different point of view now. 

Let's start with what I LOVE.

- Sailor Scouts and their friendship
- Usagi being so ditsy and funny
- Luna as the talking cat - the best. 
- The overall storyline with their past and Tuxedo Mask coming in to help 
- The humor throughout the book 

Here's what I am not crazy about anymore and don't find appropriate for young readers personally:

- How rooted in astrology some of the book / characters are (I can remember as a young girl getting heavily involved in astrology after watching and reading Sailor Moon so it's something I think needs to be treaded lightly on for younger readers especially. It's not a ton -- but there are some pieces that are involved and pulled from it.
- The Shintoism Parts with Rei and Worship of Deities mentioned   
- Tuxedo Mask always kissing Usagi when she passes out after a fight and then whisking her off to his apartment. He is 17 and she is 14. While nothing happens between them, it isn't my favorite to see. I am a bit more forgiving of it since I know their past and such together, but want to mention it for content reasons.

Overall, I really still enjoy Sailor Moon as a manga but want parents and readers to be aware of the content as I read through the series and will be pointing out parts that I love vs parts I am not crazy about.

Amazon: https://amzn.to/45xxFXf
Goodreads Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/5785984344
YouTube Review Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP6NLPxY6po

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Rec Post: Southern Charm Readathon

Book Review: All My Secrets by Lynn Austin

Book Review: Better Watch Out by Natalie Walters