Book Review: Echoes Among the Stones by Jaime Jo Wright

 


Echoes Among the Stones - Jaime Jo Wright - 4.5 Stars - A surprising read for me! Loved this!

What a surprising read for me! I picked this up when trying some of my friend's favorite books and this was SUCH a surprising book. I listened to this mostly on audio and read the last 25% on kindle. 4.5 rounding up to 5 stars.

The narrator pulled me in immediately. I think if I physically read the beginning portions, I may have not been so interested but the narrator did such a great job with the two timelines.

This is a Christian fiction mystery-thriller but this wasn't creepy in any way to me. I felt like it leaned more mystery then thriller.

We have Aggie, who travels to Wisconsin to visit her grandmother, Mumsie. She is dealing with the loss of her mother and still learning how to grieve that loss. Aggie sees her grandmother obsessing over an old, unsolved crime scene - recreating it in a dollhouse - and you as the reader start to wonder how is she connected to the past timeline....

In the past during 1946, we see Imogene Grayson coming home to discover her sister has been killed. She sets out to try and solve the murder but the case grows cold fast. We follow her journey as she tries to figure out what happened to her sister Hazel.

I personally loved the alternating timeline and seeing how her grandmother was connected to the past timeline. I really liked some of the faith at the end surrounding grief. "Don't let grief tie your years up into a lifetime of regrets. Let the good Lord take care of your aches and heal you. So that you don't miss out on the good - on the blessing He hides in the middle of all that hurting." Jaime did a wonderful job explaining how we struggle with grief and how she handled it was beautiful and heart-breaking at the same time.

I did NOT figure out who the murdered was the end - this book sure did keep me on my toes and guessing the entire time.

Def a fav of 2023 for me. The only reason its 4.5 and not 5 fully -- is I wanted a little more romance but overall such a good read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Rec Post: Southern Charm Readathon

Book Review: All My Secrets by Lynn Austin

Book Review: Better Watch Out by Natalie Walters