Book Review: Almost Like Being in Love by Sariah Wilson

 


Almost Like Being in Love - Sariah Wilson 3.5 Stars

This novella was a lot of fun! Even though I don't like instalove, the fact this had a Scottish family and setting from the 17th century and time travel with a girl from America who falls in love with the Scotsman at Christmastime - I forgive it LOL! If it would have been any other setting, I probably wouldn't have picked it up but I can't pass up anything that has time travel and Scotland in the mix!

It's almost so over the top for the entertainment value that you just end up having a fun time while reading / listening to it. I listened to the audiobook through audible and loved the Scottish dialogue and narration. I don't think this book is meant to be taken seriously. I think its meant to have a lot of fun while reading and just enjoy during the Christmas season. It is magical realism after all with the time travel element haha.

I love that the romance was clean with kisses only - some of the descriptions, innuendos and intimate moments were more described but I was fine with it. Perfect for fans of Outlander who want an entertaining, clean Christmas read this season.

This was my first book by this author and I look forward to reading more by her. This follows an American girl named Maren Kelly and her friend Penny who get lost in the Scottish Highlands and caught in a blizzard. They're visiting there at the request of Maren's mother, who is dying from cancer and wants her daughter to experience the magic and mystery of Scotland. They end up being rescued by a handsome 17th century Scotsman and his family, Duncan Campbell. Duncan and Maren have the whole love at first site thing going on as they shelter in Duncan's castle in Highglen. 

One issue I had with this was I honestly don't understand the time jumps as much in this book or how the time travel worked fully but that's ok. I really liked the Scottish elements, dialogue, traditions and mentions of their history as well. 

Overall, a fun novella for Christmas that kept me entertained.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Rec Post: Southern Charm Readathon

Book Review: All My Secrets by Lynn Austin

Book Review: Better Watch Out by Natalie Walters