Book Review: Castle of Refuge by Melanie Dickerson

 


Castle of Refuge - Melanie Dickerson - 4.75 to 5 Stars - I LOVED this! I truly related to our main character. An ugly duckling retelling. (Book 2 in The Dericott Tales Series)


What a SURPRISE ya'll! LOVED this so much. This is an "Ugly Duckling" retelling - book #2 in The Dericott Tales series and I thoroughly enjoyed this one! 4.75-5 stars, rounding up to 5.

"Their scars were not things to hide and be ashamed of. Their scars kept them humble, which was pleasing to God, and kept their hearts soft. And it was a bond between them that she was confident would never break."

Set in the late 14th century in England, we follow 2 sisters, Audrey and Maris. They are daughters of a viscount and their father expects Audrey to get married - specifically to Lord Edwin Dericott - but things take a turn for the worse when her older sister, Maris, purposefully causes Audrey to get scars on her face by tripping her into the fire. Maris is sent away for many years but after 4 years, she returns and her father plans to marry off Audrey to a man she doesn't want to marry.... Audrey flees her father's house in fear of Maris and his plans in search of her own destiny. When she flees, she ends up finding herself sick and in need of help. She passes out near Lord Edwin Dericott's Castle and he takes her in to help her. The story takes off here.

I really enjoyed this ya'll. I could really relate to Audrey and her scars - as I have a scar on my face from an accident as a child and felt many of the feelings she felt / went through in this story. The quote I reference at the beginning of the review - AMEN - we are not ashamed of our scars, they keep us humble and heart soft - which the Lord loves. I could relate on a personal level and it just truly impacted me on her journey. Love the faith content here and our characters. Loved seeing Audrey teaching young kids and finding her purpose.

There were some things at the end with Maris I wish could have been expanded on, but I overall loved the story, romance, setting, growth, making life changing decisions, etc. Maris was such a broken character who had personal trauma and needed help with her mental health. She blamed her sister for everything in her own life that didn't turn out as she intended and hated her for it. She needed the love of the Lord in her life and I would love to see a short story or redemption arc for her in some way as all Audrey wanted to do was be kind to her sister no matter what she did to her. I will say Melanie Dickerson sure knows how to write a villain!

Edwin and Audrey were the perfect couple. My heart<3 Loved them.

Can't wait to continue on with this series!

Goodreads Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4738696351
Amazon: https://amzn.to/3OcUr0x
Baker Book House: https://bakerbookhouse.com/products/265265
YouTube Review Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CNQJYuJxRg



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Rec Post: Southern Charm Readathon

Book Review: All My Secrets by Lynn Austin

Book Review: Better Watch Out by Natalie Walters