Book Review: Rocky Road by Becky Wade

 


Rocky Road by Becky Wade - Book 2 in the Sons of Scandal series - 4 Stars

Rocky Road is a cute, fake dating clean, Christian romance featuring FBI agent Jude Camden and perfume maker Gemma Clare. Jude approaches Gemma in an effort to take down her criminal cousin from France who is selling her family perfume secrets. They go undercover and have a fake dating romance but as they start to catch real feelings - things get complicated since Gemma has a current long distance boyfriend and Jude isn't allowed to date those he works with on cases. As genuine emotions surface, Gemma realizes her current relationship lacks true love, prompting her to move on and explore a deeper connection with Jude. We also see a side story about Gemma's great grandmother who has dementia and has forgotten her love story. Gemma sets out to help her great grandmother remember her love story as she pieces everything together for her all about her past.

I loved the first chapter, it had me laughing out loud from the first scene of Gemma and Jude together! I'd say after that I started to get truly invested with our characters and story around the 30-40% mark, when the fake dating began. I honestly didn't connect with our characters until this point, and was not crazy that Gemma had a boyfriend throughout the first part of this book. I personally do not like that "trope" where someone has a boyfriend while they start to get interested in someone else, however, I thought if you have to have the main girl have a boyfriend in the story to start off, Becky handled the break up well and early on.

I did enjoy seeing them get to know one another and how different they were as Jude is very serious and business like and Gemma is bubbly and very outgoing. I loved Jude quoting poetry to Gemma - it felt like a Mr. Darcy moment haha!

I also loved seeing the family elements in this book - this series has been fun to see the brothers interacting as they are hilarious! The faith elements in the book were great to see, specifically in the ending. I loved those intense scenes in the end!

I did listen to the audiobook and the narration was great! Overall, a good continuation to the series and I am looking forward to the next book! 

Thank you to Becky for providing a copy to honestly read and review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Rec Post: Southern Charm Readathon

Book Review: All My Secrets by Lynn Austin

Book Review: Better Watch Out by Natalie Walters